Internet advertising is a proven method for promoting your business. We have done everything we can to make the process as simple and as quick as possible. Every once in a while, we just need to double check that we are covering the basics. Little details can make a huge difference.
Recently, I had one of our advertisers complain to me that he was seeing no results. When I looked at his campaign, it became very evident where the problem was. This advertiser had not included any URL in his ads. Even if the ad copy was great and someone clicked the ad, they would have gone nowhere.
So I started looking around and I noticed a few things that I thought it would makes sense to point out to all of our advertisers. None of this is designed to embarrass anyone or make anyone feel “stupid”. These are just real mistakes that I have found and I wanted to point them out to hopefully help you avoid making the same mistakes in your own advertising:
- Be sure to create compelling ad copy. Visitors are not looking for ads to click. They visit our site looking for information. Your ad needs to give them a reason to click and learn more. A text ad that just says “Boost Your Business” might get lucky but ad copy that includes some real benefits will always do better. As a possible example:”Generate New Leads 24 hours a day with this Powerful Online System!” would probably do a little better. It’s just more compelling.
- Include your URL (web site address) in the ad form when you are setting up your ad. If you write great copy but there is no URL in your ad, folks that click on your ad will never be taken to your offer.
- Double Check your URL! I find quite a few incorrect URL’s and some that have “https://https://” at the front of the URL. These are going to cause your visitors to be taken to an error page instead of your actual web page. Take a moment to double check your URL before you submit your ad.
- Check your spelling. I get in a hurry, myself. Sometimes, I spell words wrong. First impressions count and, in advertising, that may be the only chance you get at creating a good impression. Take a second to double check your spelling.
- Make sure you select the right ad category for your text ads. When we find an ad that is in the wrong category, we delete it. But the real shame is that you waste ad impressions when your ad is in the wrong category. If someone is checking out the email marketing category and they see an ad for travel, your ad exposure just got wasted and the overall value of the site got impacted negatively.
These tips are designed to help you make sure you are getting the best possible results from your advertising. Sometimes, it’s the little things that make the most difference.